I KNOW IVE POSTED A LOT OF RECENT PICS, BOTH TATTOOS AND PHOTOSHOOTS, BUT I HAVE YET TO UPDATE THEM IN THEIR PROPER RESPECTIVE GALLERIES, WHICH, SORRY, I’M POOPED FOR THE NIGHT. I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD WAY TO PASS SOME TIME WHILE HOME SICK WITH STREP BUT I’M BEAT. SO IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR ANY OF THESE IN THE ACTUALLY GALLERIES THEY ARE NOT UPDATED THERE YET SO JUST AND I’M SORRY AND WILL GET ON THAT AS SOON AS I CAN.
Eric wanted had a long standing shoot that he’s been wanting to do called “Ink Addicts” where it looks like you’re actually shooting up the ink, as though a heroin addict would, cause, as most of us know tattooed freaks know, there’s a weird painful yet pleasurable addiction once you start getting tattooed! Even used the clip chord as an addict would use whatever the hell they use to tie up their arm to get the vein to pop up (like rubber hose? I dunno that’s what it looks like in movies), so that was cool that we got to incorporate real tattoo equipment for the shot. Ya ya, I know, no gloves, shutup. Haha. Sorry for all you sticklers out there. I’m stoked I got to show off my fancy Tim Hendriks special edition key series super shader bought from him from the Bangkok Tattoo Convention (machines available at saltwatertattoo.com). I forget where this is getting submitted to. I don’t care I just had fun shooting with Eric. Also, what better of a time to REP OUR SHOP-BLACK CAT TATTOO (yeeeeee!) with a shirt (well, if you can call it a shirt from the way we cut it haha) by one of our very own Mr.”Vonkeeper the big picture”, Steve VonRiepen (www.stevevonriepentattoo.com), shirts available at the shop! Eric has decided that I look like a doll so he loves putting me in wigs to change my look, which, honestly, before him, I’ve never work a wig, so it’s fun, almost like getting to be someone else for a few hours haha. He really goes the extra mile. He’s on a constant search for the next wig to put me in, he’s setting up a bracket in the studio to do suspension shibari ties since I told him I’m in love with Shibari (I showed him my bondage art, tattoos I’ve done, and my Akira shoot in Japan), appreciates that it’s an art, not just a prop for photos so he wants to learn the right way; he’s bought so many legit books that he’s search high and wide for even ordering them from the internet since their impossible to find especially in Hawaii; asked one of his friends to teach him who knows shibari; watches videos on it; sends me ideas and photos of ideas and is open to my input and sends me progress photos; the whole nine yards. He knows it’s not something you just learn crash course style, so it will be an ongoing project, he truly appreciates it and understands that there are masters in Japan that have devoted their lives to the art, and for that, I respect him so much.
I just want to reiterate that I’m grateful for the fact that he let me use one of our personal shop shirts so I could rep the shit out of Black Cat Tattoo, my new tattoo family. And thank you to all the guys and gals of Black Cat for being so cool and supportive. At first I was very weary about posting these, *ahem* pics with the least clothing I’ve ever worn in a shoot believe it or not, and got a lot of shit for it on instagram so I took it down after the initial post, but gotta stop worrying about the people that don’t matter. Like I said, I’m going to start an IHateMandyGarcia website, so people can just bash me and feel better about themselves. I reposted it because my supporters kept reassuring me to “rep yo shit” and “fuck haters, means you’re doing something right” and a million other things along the lines of that… so up it went again and there it stays, and here it is again, bigger for all of you to enjoy, or hate on… whatever tickles your fancy. Next shoot with Eric, this upcoming Tuesday, I wonder what he has in store for me… can’t wait. Thanks yet again Eric.
AND A SHOUT OUT TO RAIBEAD, THE NEW REGIME, our boy Malu. Get yours! Always got one of my raibead bracelets on! Check them out on instagram, username Raibead. Beware of imitations, there are TONS but don’t be fooled. You get what you pay for, and it’s the attention to detail that matters most and QUALITY! They’re all sick ass designs anyway, but you can custom order!
Honored to have worked with Lucky Olelo as a photographer… considering we’ve worked alongside each other for nearly 7 years tattooing. Haha, he’s shot other girls before, but never me in a more professional manner, so it was, well, interesting to say the least. This was the outcome of being cancelled on 15 minutes prior to an arranged shoot with my Skin Deep photographer, no names. He and I have always missed each other due to traveling; whenever he’s in Hawaii, I’m out of town, and he’s always back and forth in between here and Japan. So we were both excited when we found out we’d be in the same place at the same time and planned the shoot weeks in advance. ANYWAY, cancellation happened, which left me fully dressed (in a planned outfit by both me and the photographer, originally supposed to be shot with Aloha Tower in the background, MEGA Hawaii-ish, 50′s Hawaii feel pinup) and ready to leave to the location, but nope… So, feeling bad for me and the situation, Lucky busted out his fancy camera (this thing is worth more than my life), and we shot around the artist lofts and although he won’t admit it, this is far beyond what he’d call himself, “an amateur with a camera”… I love the photos, and I think he did an amazing job, even my FAMILY likes it which never happens with my shoots haha, considering I’m heavily tattooed and there’s always some kind of weird aspect to my shoots as of late. He’s sent me a few teasers, and amongst millions of other projects I know he’s got going on, he’ll get to the editing of the other ones when he can. I know he’s a busy guy, and I’m patient. We’re both in the same industry, and have to do a million things at once. So thank you for your time and care Lucky, it was fun and meant a lot to me. I would have been pissed if I wasted that outfit without a shoot and I hate going through the stress of getting ready for no reason for a shoot cause makeup has to be done so much heavier (FYI I HATE wearing foundation) and I only trust one other person doing my makeup, Miss Cari Leong. Dress originally bought for me for a shoot with Melanie Tjoeng (sorry we never got around to it, so I had to put it to use, I’m sorry!), Hat by Forever, shoes from San Fran. Did my own makeup.
I’ve been working with a new photographer… I’ve been in love with his work for years, and actually was supposed to shoot with him years ago, but due to my ridiculous schedule, including months upon months of traveling, it just never happened… until now. Magic. It’s like we were meant to be friends, and, I know it may sound gay, but as though he was meant to photograph me. He’s so open to whatever, fun, crazy (as me, which is always a plus), but still professional as can be which I appreciate in a photographer, and, due to bullshit last minute recent last minute reschedules (including one literally 15 minutes before after makeup, hair and wardrobe were already done), and others which required a lot on my part, such as costuming and props. Ugghh. Eric is ALWAYS reliable, always set up right on time, if not earlier. Photographing literally is his drug and you can see it through the photos, he really enjoys what he does, takes uttermost care and will set up lighting to the T, even if it’s within a centimeter to get the shot right and his editing is amazing, which, flatters me because he said he doesn’t even need to do much editing and the lights “love me”… haha, it’s nice to hear since I have such a low self esteem but, he’s gone as far as to show me the pics of the day, and I’d be like, you edited them this fast? And he’s like no, that’s all you. Very flattering. Here’s one day of shooting, with a real Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun *drool* that we’re planning to submit, and the last set, he just wanted to do something funky… threw on a bunch of plastic bags on me, and a wig, and I’m pretty stoked that something so simple and funny could turn out like this. Here’s a few shots from that day, I’ll post more of the sets, after I make a new page for “work w/ photographers part II” since the first one is filled. Thanks Eric! We did a second shoot, which I’ll post a few teasers in another blog. Yes, that is my real waist line, I fit a 20-22 corset. People keep asking. Corset and “Fuck You” bracelet by Millenium. My favorite Doc Martens boots, bottoms/fishnets by Victorias Secret, 8 year old Hot Topic studded belt by Hot Topic. Bottom line, STOKED on Eric as a photographer and new found friend, we have a few shoots set up. He’s extensively learning Shibari especially for me, doing sooo much homework and practice and having a mount set up in his studio. I’m SOOO stoked. That’s next weeks shoot. Hopefully this damn strep throat is gone. Uggh.
- Cori: Started lining what will soon be a leg full of semi debauched/elegancy; super stoked cause he just gave me his leg, and since we’re boys he’s like “do whatever you want”… which of course, is more bondage girls. Love ya bro.
- Rochelle: Did a small session just to get some scales in. Not gonna lie, when she first came in with the idea of using my filigree with a more traditional asian sleeve theme such as koi/lotus, I was very skeptical. But she has opened the flood gates because more people are asking for this filigree/asian theme from me because of her which always makes me more feel more comfortable since I wouldn’t consider myself to be an “asian” tattoo artist, even though I do get to do a lot of it. Well, being in Hawaii, I guess you have to be super well rounded and know everything from poly to asian, to neo-traditional, to script to whatever in between, so to do something that incorporates something I don’t mind doing each and every day (filigree) and asian, keeps the repertoire and challenge up.
- Ryan: Starting another color south east asian mask sleeve. I love South East asian masks, they’re VERY detailed and I love the challenge, I love the fine line work. And, with so many talented artist here at black cat, I am very honored he came to me for his tattoo because I know the other guys at the shop could do an amazing job times ten. We started the bottom forearm with a balinese mask, that wraps around the whole forearm. He came back just a few days ago to line the hanya, so all he has left to do with lining is the inner bicep. Of course I’m queen of procrastinating on the bloggery so I have to post the second sitting separate. But since we we’re both Filipino I told him to maybe look up some Filipino masks, or some Borneo stuff or even more South East asian influenced work. He’s so easy to work with, hella chill, thanks Ryan!
- Jen: proof that social networking does work and I should get on it. I’ve gotten so many serious inquiries via instagram alone in the past few weeks that I’ve had an instagram, and I posted an old piece that I had drawn up for a customer that never got tattooed because we changed the whole design entirely so I was just in the process of turning it into a painting, I posted the lines on instagram and said “up for grabs” and sure enough, Jen showed up at the shop, booked the appointment and the rest is history! I’m super grateful Jen, you rock!
- Caroline, my dear Carol Stacy on good ol instagram. Started this one back at the studio, and now we’re finally coloring! Always a pleasure with this young fashionista and shy sweetheart. She referred her lil sis and as soon as she turned 18, she started on her back piece like her older sis! So cute! Thanks Caroline! Can’t wait to start putting some serious color work into this!
- Lancetron: Finally finished, even though everyone thought it was done, awhile ago, but we added to color to the mechanical heart. Can’t wait to touch this thing up so it looks super fresh considering it was a cover up and had to go over not only some black and laser scarring. I’m bummed cause now he’s done! NOOOOOOO!!!! Haha, gonna miss tattoing my buddy Lancetron.
- Angie: A cute little tattoo on her wrist with a little butterfly to represent her daddy before she leaves to NYC, I’m sure if this girl stayed around it would be hard to keep the weight off cause she is a confectionary artist/perfectionist! And she loves doing vegan baking… oh no, oh yes! Good luck to wherever your ventures take you lady, and I’m sure we’ll cross paths in the future again!
- Mick: Mr.Mick has gotten tattooed by most of the Black Cat family so I was surprised that the manager had set him up with me especially since Mick is so good at planning out his tattoo that he already has the rough sketch done up for you almost tattoo ready! I like to do more fine line stuff, so, albeit a smaller tattoo than what I’m used to doing everyday, it was a challenge cause it’s not something I’d do everyday and was meant to be more bold and traditional tattoo but he was up to switching things up a bit, even wanting to be funky with some letters bigger than the others, but we always can go thicker, etc. He was so super cool (theres even a cute back story to his tattoo), mellow, patient (I was not feeling good at all that day and in the end got sent home for the day), not in the least pretentious at all… only for me to put two and two together at the end and figured out that this was MICK MOTOR, THE photographer and I’ve been following his pin-up photography in particular for awhile now. He didn’t even mention it, didn’t pull the whole, “I’m this guy, I’m a big deal” show, which I give him so much props for cause believe me I’ve met the douchiest of the douches out there especially when people think dropping names gets you something… why, I don’t know. Anyhow, props props props. I truly appreciate genuine people like that… come on, if you’re someone worth knowing, people will figure it out, right, or they already know!?! You don’t have to run around like an ass telling people a crock of shit. Respect!